Friday, January 29, 2010

Look What I Made

I am delighted with this new cloche/tray I recently created.
I rescued this ceiling light fixture from a free pile ages ago. Some of the glass panels were broken, so I removed all of the survivors to get this frame.
Once it was turned upside down, I saw it would be sort of a cloche.
I fiddled around with my stash of silver-plate trays until I found one that would slide in through the flat side. I drilled a whole in the middle of the tray so it would attach with the existing hardware.
This is so unlike me, but I actually made a pattern of the bottom of the tray, folded it into fourths, and made my center hole. Usually I belong to the let's-eyeball-it-school. A pilot dimple of sorts was made with a nail and hammer, and then I drilled a big center hole with my hand-held drill.
There was an opening at the top of the dome, which begged for a knob or handle of some sorts. I attached this over-the-top lamp finial with some lamp washers and a nut.
I'm thinking it will corral my fabric flower pins and corsages. But so far, I'm not ready to cover an inch of it up! -- Beth

6 comments:

Free Art Printables said...

Love your tray combo!!!!

Cindy Pestka said...

It would make a fabulous birdcage, too! A birdcage filled with birds and corsages and feathers and flowers!

Linda said...

I love this...I can't wait to see what you end up doing with it!

Barn House said...

Very cool!

Anonymous said...

So cool! I love it.

Best,
Truly (trulyandjohn.hauser@comcast.net)

Play Bazaar said...

you should consider nourishment to be fuel and not as amusement or solace.
play bazaar