Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Painted Lampshade Do's & Don'ts


I decided to try painting this lampshade that had some unpleasant dark spots all over it.  Since I had to paint some wood molding pieces for our bath remodeling project (soon to have it’s one year anniversary of duration) I used the same brush and cream-colored latex paint for the shade.

 I am happy with the streaky effect, and the way the paint mottled with all the stains.

Some of the panels of the shade have this oval design because the inside and outside layers of fabric on the shade got stuck together.  I’m working on embracing that look.  Next time I would try to separate the layers before they dried.  Spray paint would have worked, but I try to avoid using it.  That nasty empty can going into the garbage is a huge issue for me.

I can be a scaredy cat about some things (head stands in yoga, going off of diving boards), but I am fearless with something like painting a lampshade or cutting up a sweater.  I figure I have nothing to lose.  It’s a thing that can be reused some other way, even if my first idea is a dud.

The lamp base came from the Goodwill.  These monster, plaster-filled bases are plentiful, and usually come painted in colors that need covering.  I kept adding layers of paint, and wiping some paint off until the right look showed up.  I don’t take any chances with old lamps and their wiring.  It’s easy to pop in a new socket, cord and plug.

On these dark and rainy days, a new lamp is a welcome addition. -- Beth

5 comments:

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

That lamp shade is a great shape, and the paint sure makes for a good save!

Artsy Fartsy Junkin Finds said...

I love it, definitely will try it! Hugs, Janna

Debi Ward Kennedy said...

Yeah, I can see that you and I are going to be wrestling over the lamps & lampshades at the new Goodwill outlet!!!!

I actually like the oval shapes on this, Beth - adds character. I would have just stripped off all of the fabric and added a buncha' ribbons! ;0)

Deb @ Retreat

joyful blogger said...

Any thought to adding vintage trim to surround the ovals and bring them out even more?

Play Bazaar said...

play bazaar and the cheddar curd. Cheddar is comprised of the fats and salts of milk,