Monday, January 25, 2010

My New Favorite Smudging Product



I glean so many useful ideas and tips from reading blogs.  When Heather Bullard suggested this product, I wrote it down.  I found myself at Lowe’s multiple times last week and bought this antiquing glaze made by their house brand, Valspar.  Heather’s had been American Tradition, another Lowe’s product.  The clerk helped me look for it to no avail.  So I went with the Valspar and was extremely pleased with the results.  A little went a long way when applied with this section of an old sock.  I’ve tried thinning paints, shoe polish and other ways to make painted things look more aged.  The consistency of this glaze was dreamy.  It spread and spread and spread where I wanted.

This vintage bench was shades of dark red originally.  When I painted it off-white, I used only one coat and tried not to fill in all the nooks and crannies.  After it dried, it looked too new.  This antiquing glaze gave it the perfect smudged look.  Thanks Heather!  -- Beth

8 comments:

amy of studio four corners said...

Beth - glad you love this product - I do too and have used it for years. American Tradition and Valspar are the same product - Valspar is the name of the company and they decided a number of years ago to put their name on their product instead of the American Tradition line. You should try their other glazing products as well - I have some raw umber that gives a nice brown tinge when the gray is just too dark.

Carole said...

I've heard quite a bit about Valspar, but even in my research have been unable to find out if it's low VOC. I figure it's not. I never used AT so have no experience with either.

I'm glad you like the product.

Rust: Vintage Inspired Design said...

Thanks for the great tip.....I am always wondering how to age my paint jobs a bit. I will definitely try this out.
Happy day!
xojanis

Julie H. said...

Your new favorite product is now my new favorite. I always get overwhelmed in the paint section so now I can just ask for the Valspar and save myself all the paint department drama.

Julie

Connie said...

Yes, I love this product too! I used it on several items last summer...that reminds I need to find it. Thanks!

Connie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lyneen said...

funny how we buy furniture, paint it to give it new life. In that new life we want it to look as used as when we got it or a little more used up!!!!! THANKS for sharing.

Play Bazaar said...

play bazaar Try not to eat cheddar in enormous sums since it contains a lot of fat and salt.