Saturday, January 2, 2010

Gorgeous Seattle Sailing Day

Wednesday was one of those perfect Seattle days. My family and I were most lucky to be included in a sailing adventure with my cousins Marie and Jerry. They were relocating their beloved sailboat, Sea Wings, from the marina in Kirkland to Shilshole Bay in Seattle. I offered to bring our lunch, and behave myself enough not to fall overboard with my chronic vertigo. Everyone else pitched in with the sailing duties. The weather cooperated with dry skies and more sunshine than we had hoped for. It is such a treat to see Seattle from a boat.

Here is my son Morgan’s future brother-in-law, Bob, enjoying his first visit to the Northwest. The Mountlake Bridge is in the background. This is part of our happy group at the marine gas station. Cousin Jerry, son Morgan, cousin Marie, future daughter-in-law Eileen and her brother, Bob.

I stayed on the boat.

A real highlight was our route took us under six bridges – four of which had to open for us! As anyone who has driven in Seattle knows - too many hours of our lives have been spent waiting for bridges to open and close for boats. It felt great to be on the other end of the situation.

And we got to experience the Locks firsthand, as the water lowered to go from the fresh water of Lake Washington to the salt water of Puget Sound.
Eileen took this gorgeous video as we approached Shilshole. ( Sailor Morgan)

This marina is known as the aluminum forest. So many beautiful sailboats.

Here is a shot of Morgan and my hubby, Raoul, after getting the Sea Wings settled into her new home. It was such a special day for all of us! -- Beth

5 comments:

Carole said...

What a great (though typically gray) photo of the Seattle skyline.

I have only been sailing once, and that was in college.

It looks like everyone had a nice day.

Lyneen said...

OH my gosh what fun... not only the bridges... BUT THE LOCKS... I have only seen them as an observer on shore looking down on everyone. WHAT an experience!

Happy New Year!!!

Shell said...

What a fun day Beth! I lived on a 42 footer for a short stint back in my 20's! I'll admit, I never learned to sail myself, I was primarily the "galley gal" preparing our tasty finds from Puget Sound,,but I loved it! (Okay, other than feeling like I was camping ALL the time and showering in the Marina's bathroom) but hey! It was awesome for the most part,,,,,and aren't we lucky to live in such a beautiful part of the world??? You certainly DO get a different view ON the water!

Thanks for Sharing!
Happy New Year My Dear!
Shell

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

I've never been through the locks....what a great adventure...

Happy New Year....

Warm blessings,
Spencer

Play Bazaar said...

while whey contains a huge extent of the protein. play bazaar