Sunday, January 10, 2010

What to do with a Stretchy Sweater

This sweater is at least 11 years old, and used to be about half this size. It continues to expand sideways. And I decided midway through last year, that my body was going to go the other direction! I was ready to donate the sweater to the Goodwill, when I had an idea to transform it into a skirt.

Here’s the sweater. First, I cut off the arms and cowl neck part. Then I straightened the edges into sort of an a-line. I don’t own a serger, so my plan was to zigzag the seam edges first with my sewing machine from the 1950’s. The edges came out ruffled. I was cranky for a few seconds, then decided I would have the seams be on the outside, and be a design element. For the waist, I simply folded the sweater over, and stitched the edge to form a tube for an elastic waistband. The hem of the skirt was the bottom hem of the sweater. To make it more ruffled, I zigzagged that edge while slightly stretching the fabric.

I am darn pleased with my new skirt. I’ll wear it with tights and some boots. Now to alter some sweaters for tops!

I have a huge girl crush on Natalie Chanin, author of the Alabama Stitch Book. She did a great post recently showing and talking about using what you have. Read it here.

And for a hilarious read of what to do with ugly sweaters, visit A Girl Named Timi’s blog, and read about her Ugly Christmas Sweater holiday party.

10 comments:

Lyneen said...

I LOVE YOUR SKIRT!!!! what a great idea... now I have to go buy a big sweater!!!!!!

Artsy Fartsy Junkin Finds said...

OMG, that is awesome!! You have to give us a pic with it and the boots! Just be glad you did not grow with the sweater!! Hugs, Janna

Judy said...

What a clever idea! Recently I have seen clothing/sweaters redone to fit over a wire lampshade base. Isn't it amazing how people can think outside the box and reuse/reinvent things. I am constantly in awe!

Amber Strehle said...

Soo cute!!!

Rust: Vintage Inspired Design said...

Love, love, love what you did with this old sweater. I would love to have a skirt just like it!
xojanis

paisley penguin said...

Absolutely fabulous! Do please post and update photo!

Beth E-R said...

I will post a pic of me wearing my "new" skirt - tights and boots too. It is hard enough to take pictures of still objects. So taking one of myself sans baggy sweater will take the right self-esteem moment.

Thanks for all the swell comments!

Beth

Carole said...

That is absolutely fantastic!!

I came across a woman recently who made a skirt by sewing together lots of mens ties. It was pretty neat looking.

Cindy Pestka said...

Wow...99.99999% of the time in my life my clothing inexplicably gets SMALLER. Kudos to you for defying the laws of physics!

Play Bazaar said...

and the cheddar curd. Cheddar is comprised of the fats and salts of milk,play bazaar