Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Hoarders ala A&E TV



I have started watching this television show recently, after Laurie at Crazy Aunt Purl mentioned she was watching it. Since I do tend to save things that "I might need or use someday", I can relate to these people. The first time I watched it, I did the fast forward at triple speed through a lot of it - way too much crying and turn-your-head-away filth. But then I watched another episode, and could recognize traits I have - such as so many of my possessions tell a story. Lisa and I have been invited into enough homes to salvage items, that we have seen firsthand sometimes folks can part with their unwanted things if it is going to be used by someone else. I guess I am captivated by the whole process of saving - which requires organizational skills to not be smothered by your stuff, and purging - which can become an emotional process. And who hasn't experienced the feeling of being overwhelmed, and not knowing where to start?

4 comments:

lulu said...

Lisa Sourers wrote a blog about this show as well. I have not seen the show, but when anyone talks about hording I get a weird feeling in the pit of my stomach.

Beth E-R said...

Hi Linda,

I read Lisa Souers' blog too, and enjoyed her perspective. That weird feeling you mention could be that oh-so-thin line that separates hoarding from saving and junking and rescuing good loot. There are many moments when I am just one good estate sale away from crossing it!

Beth

Riverwood Primitives said...

Love that show. And I thought I was bad!

krys kirkpatrick said...

I tell you, when I went through my divorce many years ago. I had 2 rooms full of stuff. I called a guy he gave me 500 dollars and took it all. It felt...wonderful!

I am there again....less.less.less. Will give me more..free time, sense of lightness and newness. But I now have 2 storage units to my stuff to get rid of. Which I am doing slowly at Finders Keepers in Marysville. Feels great!