Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Piano on Our Wall

Several months ago I was the lucky recipient of a vintage piano that had to be dissected a bit to get it out of a basement. One part is the intact keyboard with lovely old ivory keys. I’m saving that for a special future project. The other part are the “insides”. I call them striker bars, but I’m probably making that name up. From the moment I laid eyes on it, I considered it a piece of sculpture. I recently got around to hanging it on a wall in my foyer.


I’m darn happy with how it looks!

8 comments:

WhisperWood Cottage said...

Fabulous!

mari said...

having a pianist daughter i just happen to know that that part of a piano is called "the action" which is made up of many smaller pieces including "the hammers" which strike the strings resulting in lovely music (hopefully), but as one who enjoys making up new words striker bars works too.

mari (from FE)

Beth E-R said...

Hi Mari,

Thanks so much for sharing your piano knowledge with me. Now when I am giving a house tour I can talk about "the action" I have on my foyer wall! I miss your visits to the studio. It's time I popped into Faded Elegance to say hi.

Beth

Sue said...

What a fun idea....Can't wait to see what you do with the keyboard!
Blessings~LillySue

Debi Ward Kennedy said...

I was gonna' say 'Hammers' but I should have known Mari would get to it first!!!!!

(Want a harp? We still have two.....!)

mari said...

i miss my visits to the studio too!

junkermidge said...

Great idea -- that part does look like art. I've done a couple piano projects, too, but never knew what to do with the action (new word to me, too). I have 2 of them just waiting! Thanks for the inspiration.
Midge

Tom said...

I thought you might enjoy seeing what I do with old pianos.

http://www.tinkertunes.com/desk-1