Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Loving Burlap


A year ago, I had no idea how much I would covet a vintage hemp sheet from France. When we shopped the flea markets in Paris and Provence, I was focused on other things on my shopping list. I have been a major fan of Kaari Meng and her business, French General, for a long time. Even after studying both of her first two books, and reading her blog, The Warp and The Weft, hemp sheets still weren't on my radar. Then I was setting the table for a dinner party, and realized I NEEDED said hemp sheet for the perfect effect. They are pricey little suckers. So I started keeping my eye open for good deals on hunks of nubby linen fabric. After some half-hearted attempts at not finding a bargain on linen, I came up with this solution.



I would tea dye a damask tablecloth I already owned, and use burlap as sort of a runner/second layer. Several lifetimes ago, I had a cloth doll business, and tea dyed the muslin for their bodies. It's an easy process, and produced just the look I was after. There is no need to iron damask anymore. I really prefer the soft and rumpled look.

The burlap was easy to find at Jo-Anns. I cut off a long length, washed it and dried it. I am really pleased with the look! And at a cost of under $6.00 for the burlap, really pleased with the cost.

And I must give credit to the KINGS OF BURLAP, the boys of Barn House.

4 comments:

Debi Ward Kennedy said...

'Kings of Burlap'! I love it! They ARE, too.... those aprons they wear are tres' chic.

krys kirkpatrick said...

Very cool idea. I have looked at burlap also. I like that it frays really well. I have to say...my dying choice is instant coffee. I will pick up some burlap and play with it. Thanks!

Julie H. said...

Love, love, love the burlap. I am playing with different ways to use it around the house and for event decor. I am going to try the tea dying this weekend on old table cloth and next might try curtains!

Lyneen said...

Love the effect... I have a hunk of burlap... maybe I will use it for one of my dinners!